As we all know the NBA playoffs recently occurred and there is nothing like a good playoff series. Whether it’s a few friends gathering at your house or a group of people gathering for a watch party, the playoffs have a sort of magic to bring people together. But, it also has the power to ignite some fierce competition and heated conversations. And while you think most conversations would be about the Warrior’s victory, there has been one conversation that has stolen the light. The conversation over who’s the “GOAT,” the LeBron vs. Jordan debate.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking I’m about to join the bandwagon and put my 2 cents in the debate like list their stats, winnings, skills vs. fundamentals, blah, blah, blah. No, my ultimate question is what makes someone the GOAT? Is it their stats? How many points can you score? How many wins do you have? How much success you have? The list can go on and on, but the answer is a mystery.
Or is it……
The answer is that being great could be an array of things, but being the greatest is up to you. We talk about who’s the GOAT in sports all the time, but what about being the GOAT in your own life. Do you just go through the motions or do you strive to be great? …not just great, but the greatest of all time? Being the GOAT is not just a saying, but a principle that you can apply to everyday life. We all have things we are good at, gifts, talents, passions, etc. It is what you do with them that will make you great. It is when you exercise them, strengthen them, and use them that will make you the GOAT.
5 Steps for Becoming the GOAT
- Believe in yourself: This may seem generic, but this is the stepping stone to becoming the GOAT. You have to believe in yourself 110%. When everyone else is doubting you is when you have to believe in yourself the most. Although there is a fine line in being confident versus being cocky, your faith in yourself is what will get you through the toughest of times.
- Never give up: We all heard the story about Michael Jordan not making the varsity basketball team. Fabricated or not, this is one of the ultimate stories about not giving up in sports. Jordan didn’t give up. He actually dominated his Junior Varsity team and pushed on to become one of the greatest basketball players of all time.
- Outwork everyone: Whether you’re #TeamJordan or #TeamLeBron, you can’t deny either of their work ethics. LeBron is already back in the gym and his season just ended two weeks ago. A lot of players take a break and relax in the postseason. But LeBron understand that when you’re on the course of becoming the GOAT, you have to outwork everyone!
- Adapt to change: You have to be willing to adapt and adjust to change. Through injuries, new rules, new teammates & management, personal issues, losses, etc, players adapt to change all of the time. You have to apply that same strategy towards life. Life is so unpredictable that you have to adapt whether you have control over your situation or not.
- Build your team: You can’t achieve greatness all by yourself. You need a Scottie Pippen or Kyrie Irving/Dwayne Wade by your side. To become the greatest, you have to surround yourself with the greatest. The debate over the GOAT in basketball will continue for ages. But don’t let that debate continue in your life. You can work towards becoming the greatest of all time in your own life today! What others steps can you take on the journey towards greatness? Comment below and make sure you like us on Facebook.