So it’s almost the end of January, just that fast! Are you still keeping up with your resolutions goals for the year? Is it still a new year, new you? I would hope so! I saved this post for that exact reason. I try to avoid doing our beginning of the year post until late January. That’s to weed out all the hype beasts that only post stuff people want to hear with no action behind it. I want what we say to resonate with you and actually inspire you to follow through with your goals.
2016 was our Breakout year. My pastor preached a sermon about making 2016 your Breakout year at the beginning of last year. That really hit me hard, so I made it my team’s theme for the year. I paraphrased his sermon and made “5 Ways to Make This Your Breakout Year.” I made this so anyone could follow, no matter your beliefs.
2016 was definitely a Breakout year for me. I had specific goals in place, and I achieved most of them. So what comes after having your Breakout year? Well, that brings us to the theme for 2017. Now, this may sound a little cliché but this is our year to “Level Up.” Ever since Fabolous released his Summertime Shootout 2 mixtape back in September, “Level Up” stuck with me. He kept repeating it throughout the entire project. I have been trying to figure out why that was in my heart, and it finally hit me. That’s how it became our theme for 2017.
“Level Up” means to take everything learned, both successes and failures, in 2016 and take it to the next level in 2017. Now technically, you should “Level Up” every year, but this year is extremely important. I’m planning for 2018-2020 to be my peak years, so it’s a must that I advance my skills, knowledge, career, network, and my intellect to the next level. I am also hoping the same for you, especially if you been following this blog! ?
So how can we Level Up?
5 Steps to Level Up in 2017
- Keep learning: This is crucial for leveling up and overall greatness. You have to keep learning! I’m not just referring to textbook knowledge. You have to read, research, and apply what you learn to your daily lives.
- Give back: Being great is not about you! You have to give back in order to receive. Whether it is mentoring youth, feeding the homeless, or volunteering at the pet shelter; giving back is a must!
- Support each other: Again, being great is not about you! We have to start supporting each other. This is not a competition, there is room at the top for every single one of us.
- Step outside your comfort zone: You cannot become complacent. As you learn new skills, you can’t be afraid to utilize those skills. For example, I have so many ideas for The Great Ones. Most of those ideas are outside my comfort zone, so I often talk myself of moving forward with them. That ends today!
- Always do your best: This comes from the current book I’m reading with Young Black Austin called, The Four Agreements. This is actually the Fourth Agreement discussed in the book, and it is so so important. Sometimes we overlook this in our lives because yet again we become complacent. Giving your all and doing your best in everything you do, every single day is vital!
I believe this is going to be another amazing year for us Greats! With the strategies we implemented last year plus this year’s blueprint, greatness is surely among us. Will obstacles try to block us from being great? Of course! That’s exactly why I wanted to create this atmosphere, so we can support each other. The Greats Ones is not just about traveling and life hacks, it’s about inspiring others to be great. Being great is a lifestyle! Share your goals with us below and like us on Facebook! Until next time….